- Forrest Swords - Engravings (2013) - Highly atmospheric work that somehow manages to channel the moody soundscapes of say Burial with traditional instrumentation (perhaps zithers, dulcimers, chimes and the like) conjuring up a dark, contemporary urban landscape with a flavour of a 1970's kung fu movie or cold war spy flick. Eerie yet strangely uplifting at the same time
- Goat - World Music (2012) - A deceptive title, but with a slight Afrobeat groove to it in part, and a guitarist using a few exotic scales usually located in the work of Tinariwen. World music in any recognisable form this isn't. This is deep Swedish voodoo psych drawing on (perhaps) Amon Duul II's Yeti or Phallus Dei combined with plenty of brain-melting funky wah wah, throw some Sabbath riffage into the pot - and "set the controls" as they say. Probably my most played CD in 2013.
- Julia Holter - Loud City Song (2013) - Beautiful and diverse album of music, overheard conversation and alienation.
- Darkside - Psychic (2013)
- Pharoah Sanders - Live (1982)
- Ijahman - Haile I Hymn (1978)
- Poet and the Roots - Dread Beat an' Dub (1977)
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (1963)
Monday, October 06, 2014
What I have been listening to recently 2013/14
Posted by Peter Whitton at 4:08 pm